Welcome

Welcome to Dana Peterson Photography. It has been a fantastic year! I have a few more sessions to finish in December and then 2012 will be history. THANK YOU to such wonderful clients! I wish you a Merry Christmas. I look forward to more sessions in 2013. It will be here before we know it! On this site you will find images of many of my photo sessions, a bit from my own life and lots and lots of my own kids.
For more photos and sessions feel free to check my Facebook Page.

Why are you charging so much?

Before I started shooting (3+ years ago), I wanted a deal on my family photography. I thought paying more than $50 a session was way over priced. I feel bad now that I was so naive and ignorant to the work of the photographer. I now realize that the photographer is not just spending 1 hour of their time with me and my family.  It is much more involved than that.

Here is a breakdown on the time I spend for each session:

booking time: 45 minutes (client contact time, location scouting + any paperwork)
prep & travel time: approx 45 minutes
actual sooting time: 90 minutes-2 hours
uploading, editing and preparing CD: 5-8 hours

This is a very conservative estimate. It is time that I could be spending with my family or on other responsibilities. But just considering the time involved in a session is not enough. I have spent thousands of dollars (scarey, huh) on equipment including camera, lens, lighting, computer, software editing programs, color calibration system, props etc. Not only that, I am afraid to estimate the amount of time I have spent over the last 3 years learning the art. I read, research, take classes, contribute to on-line forums, participate in webinars, mentor other aspiring photogrpahers and am mentored. Not to mention the couple of college courses I took.

Let's just say that I think that my current rate of $150 IS a bargain. We all want a deal and you are getting one if you scheduled a session with me this year!!

For more information please review the Professional Children's Photographers' website.

No comments: